La Líga Del Barrío (LLDB) will began play in the month of November 2016 hosting a series of basketball clinics/scrimmages. LLDB also hosted its first ever 3x3 tournament on Saturday, December 3 rd and 10 th (due to inclement weather the Founder’s tournament has been rescheduled to Sunday, January 15th).
- A schedule of the official games shall be distributed prior to the first official game. The first official game shall take place on Saturday, January 7, 2017 (all other games will take place on Saturdays thereafter). The Playoff and Championship games will take place at the end of the season. The closing ceremony and presentation of awards is tentatively scheduled for April 29, 2016.
- The league will consist of 8 Divisions. Each team will be allowed to have a Coach, an Assistant Coach, a Team Mom, and a team captain (Liga player), rotated weekly, who will assist the coach with making calls to other players to remind them of their playing times and school progress reports. Team moms will supervise the team captains, in addition to tracking the 3-minute rule, and reporting deficiencies in school progress reports and make recommendations to the Coaches as to the appropriate penalty based on LLDB's rules, the player's progress report and history. Any discrepancies in what should be an appropriate penalty will ultimately be decided in consultation with a Commissioner.
- Each team will be allowed to have a maximum of 12 players, when necessary. No player shall exceed the age of 18 years unless they can provide proof they are attending high school and are in good academic standings; the age limit for this exception is 19 years of age (the student player will not be eligible if his 20th birthday falls within the eligible season).
- A total of four (4) players who are high school graduates will be selected to play in our league provided the player is enrolled as a first-year freshman in an accredited college or university and remains in good academic standings, but cannot exceed the age of 19th at the start of the season. If the player does not maintain good academic standings he cannot remain on the team. No two players of this group can be assigned to the same team.
- A player can be placed in an age group below or above his or her own age group (based on the player’s skill level). If the player is placed in an age group below his or her own age group (e.g., a 9-year old placed in the 6-8 age group) the player will not be eligible for the MVP trophy. However, if the player is placed in an age group above his or her age group he/she is eligible for the MVP trophy.
- The league will play three clinics/scrimmage games (subject to change), and a 9-game season schedule.
- If Aspira's Educational Campus is closed on any Friday prior to our scheduled Saturday games, school policy dictates that ALL LIGA GAMES WILL BE CANCELLED on that following Saturday (Director will notify all coaches if this policy will be overridden and games will be held).
- The commissioners and/or referees can shorten/terminate a game that is deemed not playable by the ref and/or is out of reach by the opposing team and is evident by unnecessary fouls or when the league is behind schedule. This will prevent any needless injuries from occurring and allow getting back on schedule.
- Both Boys and Girls must ALWAYS wear their team jersey, a white t-shirt, and Liga shorts or solid black or navy blue gym short. A violation of this criteria will be penalized by sitting 2 minutes of the game’s first half and any subsequent infraction of the same nature will result in increments of additional 2 minutes and up to an entire half (player must sit on the bench to serve his/her penalty).
- Player jerseys are not permitted to be defaced at all (this means not writing on it or cutting/slicing it up). Players who need a replacement jersey must pay an additional $5.00 (if any are available) apart from the registration fee. A player cannot borrow nor wear other teammates' jerseys during a game.
- The registration fee is $25. Additionally, each player must sell a book of fundraising tickets (ten tickets in a book - $1 each ticket) to be submitted by April 23 rd 2016. Parents/players are encouraged to sell as many fundraising booklets as possible to assist La Liga in our fundraising efforts that serves to benefit the players of our league.
- The player may also opt to have his/her name pressed on the back of their jerseys by LBJ Sports, Inc. Orders will be taken on January 7 th at the gym by LBJ Sports, onsite, and returned the following Saturday. This is an additional $6 cost paid directly to the vendor. Only proper names can be placed on the jerseys, i.e., R. Alvarez (no nicknames allowed).
- If a player is not present at the team line-up for devotion, which takes place immediately prior to the start of the game, they cannot play until 5 minutes into the game and must also have an acceptable progress report (penalty is subject to the discretion of the Commissioners). Subsequent infractions can increase the minutes the player will be penalized.
- A parent or guardian is expected to accompany their child to the game every Saturday and is expected to conduct themselves as role models for our league participants (unsavory behavior/language is not allowed and any such behavior can result in being asked to leave the premises; refusal to leave can result in security intervention from Aspira and/or the Phila Police Dept.).
- In order for a player to qualify for the playoffs, he/she must have played in at least 6 official games of the scheduled games, and MUST have shown evidence of GOOD Behavior and Academics, or at least shown improvement in those areas. “The Commissioners will review the school progress report every week at the Gym. They will speak to the student/player if their Academic or Behavioral Performance is not at an acceptable level and will refer the player to local agency resources for assistance. Discipline will be assigned at the discretion of the Commissioners.”
In the event one or more Teams end up in a tie (team record) at the end of the regular season in
their division, the tie will be broken in the following manner:
- Regular season head to head competition.
- Regular season team points.
- If head to head results are not available or tied, then a free-throw shootout (best out of 10) will take place after the last game of the season.
- Trophies will be awarded to all participants in the League at the end of the season; “MVP”, “Player of the Year”, “Most Improved Player of the Year”, “Academic Player of the Year”, and Championship trophies will be highlighted at the ceremony. All players, coaches and families are welcomed. In order to receive your Trophy the player must be present at the closing ceremony.
Director: Raymond Alvarez
Commissioners: Esther Alvarez, Jarry Adorno, Lillian Izzard & Luis A. Negron, Sr.